Made from a common household nail that I found in the attic. Hammered it, filed it into shape, and then polished it.
The handle was wrapped with two tones of red thread as follows:
- First I taped (using black electrical tape) the thread down, one in front, one in back.
- I then tightly wound the darker thread over the handle in one direction, followed by the lighter thread over that in the opposite direction.
- Finally I tied the two thread off at the top and snipped the excess.
The tsuba was made from a scrap piece of metal, and was the most work of the entire project:
- The wide slot for the blade was made by hammering two holes side by side using another nail.
- After breaking off as much of the excess metal as i could, I then filed it down to shape and polished it up.
- At this point the tsuba didn't fit snug enough to stay, so I attempted to solder it. Soldering it didn't work, and resulted in me having to file away the residue.
- Eventually I had the idea to use a twist tie wire.
- Threading the wire through the tsuba, it now fit snug enough to stay, the majority of the excess wire was then wound around the base of the blade and the rest around the top of the handle.
Just listed this on ebay, [link]
I'm not asking much, so if you like, feel free to start the bidding.